Kylar Broadus Photo from Facebook
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 6, 2014
Transgender Rights Activist Kylar Broadus to receive an Esteem Award.
Chicago, May 6, 2014 – Today, PrideIndex.com™ announced that activist Kylar Broadus would receive an Esteem Award. Broadus is the founder of Trans People of Color (TPOCC) and was the first transgender person to testify before Congress. This year’s cocktail reception will take place in Chicago on Saturday July 5 at Sidetrack 3349 N. Halsted from 2PM-4PM. The event is free and open to the public.
Following is a list of Esteem Awards finalist:
· Outstanding Service, Male: Craig Johnson, Member of the Chicago Black Gay Men’s Caucus (CBGMC)
· Outstanding Service, Female: Simone Koehlinger, Sr VP of Programming at AIDS Foundation of Chicago
· Outstanding Service, Transgender: Gloria Allen, Activist, member of the Chicago Area HIV Integrated Service Council (CAHISC), and the Health Advisory Board of the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH)
· Future Leaders Award (formerly Outstanding Service Youth):Trisha Lee Holloway, Transgender Case Manager at Howard Brown Health Center
· Outstanding Social Services/CBO: South Side Help Center
· Institutional Award: AIDS Legal Council of Chicago (ALCC)
· Artistic Expression: About Face Theatre
· Special Recognition Award: Chuck Hyde, General Manager at Sidetrack Video Bar
· Special Recognition Award: Sanford Gaylord, Actor, Writer and Creative Activist
· Outstanding Service, Male: Bishop Terry Angel Mason, Author & Activist (San Diego)
· Outstanding Service, Female: Sharon J. Lettman-Hicks, Executive Director and CEO at National Black Justice Coalition (NBJC) (Washington, DC)
· Outstanding Service, Transgender: Kylar Broadus, Director Transgender Civil Rights Project at National Gay & Lesbian Task Force
· Future Leaders Award (formerly Outstanding Service Youth):David A. Bridgeforth Jr, Speaker, Activist and Publisher/Editor-In-Chief atDavid Bridgeforth Quarterly (DBQ) Magazine
· Outstanding Social Services/CBO: The Bayard Rustin LGBT Coalition(BRC) (San Francisco)
· Institutional Award: The Trevor Project (West Hollywood)
· Outstanding Website: Colorlines.com
· Outstanding Blog: bklynboihood.com
· Outstanding Podcast/Internet Based Video or Audio Show: Can We Talk For Real on Blog Talk Radio
· Outstanding Web Series: Black Actress created by Andrea Lewis
· Outstanding Newspaper Reporter/Columnist: Charles Blow, visual Op-Ed Columnist, The New York Times
· Outstanding Magazine: Urban Socialites Magazine (Atlanta)
· Artistic Expression: B-Boy Blues The Play (New York)
· Special Recognition Award: WOLFE Video (San Jose)
Since 2007, PrideIndex.com’s Esteem Awards has honored local and national organizations and individuals for their continued efforts in supporting the African-American and LGBT communities in the areas of entertainment, media, civil rights, business and art.
More information about the Esteem Awards coming soon www.TheEsteemAwards.com.
PrideIndex.com is an online entertainment guide to events, bars and parties for the African-American and LGBT communities. It features profiles of activist, authors, club promoters, filmmakers, performance artist, conferences, support groups, and health & wellness resources.